Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Heroism of Participation

Let me just start by saying one thing- I do not like running. I do not find it particularly enjoyable, and I don't understand people who do. I sometimes see people running with a strange look of rapture on their faces and I think "what the hell is wrong with that person?".

I am one of those people you might see jogging who look like they are in penance for some kind of social crime, punishing themselves for kicking the cat or yelling at their children or something. Headphones in, half asleep, grim, masochistic look on their faces. Not really loving it.

Nevertheless, I am in training. The city2surf is just over 11 weeks away and I have not run 14km in many years. So I have picked up the training program from the Fred Hollows Foundation and I will follow it to race day. The heroism is not in the results. The heroism is in getting out of bed in the first place and having a crack at it. Never forget that.

Next week looks like this:

Monday- Rest
Tuesday- 20 minute treadmill, 10kph
Wed- Rest
Thursday- 30 minutes treadmill, 11kph, followed by 5 minutes 12kph.
Friday- Rest
Saturday- Rest
Sunday- 50 minute jog outdoors. This is the endurance and stamina session.


Let's see how that goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment